September 29, 2016 § Leave a comment
Today, I’m speaking at the College of Idaho as part of their Mellon-funded Digital Liberal Arts Initiative. Slides are available below, with references below that.
The Digital and the Liberal Arts
- Rebecca Frost Davis. (2015, September 14). “Freshmen are Mobile, Social, and Always Connected.” Instructional Technology. Retrieved fromhttp://sites.stedwards.edu/instructionaltechnology/2015/09/14/freshmen-are-mobile-social-and-always-connected/
- Cheryl Faux. (2015, February 27). Generation Z: Connected From Birth. Retrieved from http://www.jbchicago.com/generation-z-connected-from-birth/
- Prensky, Marc (October 2001). “Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants”. On the Horizon9 (5): 1–6.
- Blended Learing in the Liberal Arts: http://blendedlearning.blogs.brynmawr.edu/
- CIC Consortium for Online Humanities Instruction: http://www.cic.edu/Programs-and-Services/Programs/Online-Humanities/Pages/default.aspx
- Poushter, Jacob. “Smartphone Ownership and Internet Usage Continues to Climb in Emerging Economies.” Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project, February 22, 2016. http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/02/22/smartphone-ownership-and-internet-usage-continues-to-climb-in-emerging-economies/.
- Caldwell, Serenity, Lory Gil, and Jen Karner. “Beginner’s Guide: How to Play Pokémon Go!” iMore, August 5, 2016. http://www.imore.com/pokemon-go.
- Morrison, Brice. “How Pokemon GO’s Design Creates Systemic Crowds.”Gamasutra, July 29, 2016.http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BriceMorrison/20160729/278115/How_Pokemon_GOs_Design_Creates_Systemic_Crowds.php.
- Wong, Julia Carrie. “The World’s Largest Pokémon Go Gathering Hits the Streets of San Francisco.” The Guardian, July 21, 2016, sec. Technology.https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/21/pokemon-go-gathering-san-francisco.
Newhouse, Alex. “Pokemon Go Might Finally Have Hit Its Peak Number of Users in the US.” GameSpot, July 23, 2016. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-go-might-finally-have-hit-its-peak-number-/1100-6442135/.
- Jenkins, Henry. “Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century.” John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and Learning. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2009. http://digitallearning.macfound.org/atf/cf/%7B7E45C7E0-A3E0-4B89-AC9C-E807E1B0AE4E%7D/JENKINS_WHITE_PAPER.PDF.
Designing Digitally-Informed Liberal Education
- Bass, Randy, and Bret Eynon. “Open and Integrative: Designing Liberal Education for the New Digital Ecosystem.” Association of American Colleges and Universities, June 16, 2016. https://www.aacu.org/publications-research/publications/open-and-integrative-designing-liberal-education-new-digital.
- AAC&U GEMs: https://www.aacu.org/gems
- “General Education Maps and Markers: Designing Meaningful Pathways to Student Achievement.” Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), 2014.
- The LEAP Challenge: Education for a World of Unscripted Problems. (2015). Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U). Retrieved from http://www.aacu.org/sites/default/files/files/LEAP/LEAPChallengeBrochure.pdf
Signature Work: Collaborative Digital Scholarship Projects
- Century America | Campus, Community, and the Great War. (2015). Retrieved from http://centuryamerica.org/
- No Man’s Land | Kirksville, Missouri & the Great War. (2015). Retrieved fromhttp://truman.centuryamerica.org/
- Jeff McClurken. (April 4, 2015). Public. In Rebecca Frost Davis, Matthew K. Gold, Katherine D. Harris, & Jentery Sayers (Eds.), Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments (unpublished draft). Retrieved fromhttps://github.com/curateteaching/digitalpedagogy
Scaffolding the Digital Curriculum
- Classroom Salon: http://www.classroomsalon.com/
- Lebow, D. G..; Lick, D. W. & Hartman, H. J. (2003/2004). HyLighter and Interactive Annotation: New Technology to Develop Higher-Order Thinking Skills. Inquiry: Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum, XXIII (1 & 2 ) 69-79. https://www.academia.edu/7907843/Lebow_D._G.._Lick_D._W._and_Hartman_H._J._2003_2004_._HyLighter_and_Interactive_Annotation_New_Technology_to_Develop_Higher-Order_Thinking_Skills._Inquiry_Critical_Thinking_Across_the_Curriculum_XXIII_1_and_2_69-79
Computer-Assisted Text Analysis
- Rebecca Frost Davis. “Reflections on a Text Analysis Assignment.” Rebecca Frost Davis: Liberal Education in a Networked World, November 12, 2013. https://rebeccafrostdavis.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/reflections-on-a-text-analysis-assignment/.
- Voyant Tools: https://voyant-tools.org/
FitBits and Analyzing Personal Data
- Mike Wasserman, Assistant Professor, Environmental Science & Policy, “Incorporating Personal Health Devices Into Environmental Science and Global Studies Courses in Angers, France: Understanding the Influence of Culture and Environment on Human Health” http://think.stedwards.edu/tltr/2015-tltr-pilot-projects
- FemTechNet: http://femtechnet.newschool.edu/ and
- Wikistorming: http://femtechnet.newschool.edu/wikistorming/
- “Department of Media and Communication Storymapping Project.” Accessed March 20, 2015. http://storymapping.blogs.muhlenberg.edu/.
- St. Edward’s University Innovation Fellowship:
- Blog: http://sites.stedwards.edu/innovationfellowship/
- Guidelines: http://think.stedwards.edu/instructionaltechnology/innovationfellowship
- Risk-Taking & Experimentation: http://sites.stedwards.edu/innovationfellowship/risk-taking-and-experimentation/
- Transparency Project: http://www.unlv.edu/provost/transparency
- Kenyon Essentials Project, https://cip.kenyon.edu/essentials
- LaGuardia ePortfolio: http://eportfolio.laguardia.edu/
- Rebecca Frost Davis, Matthew K. Gold, Katherine D. Harris, and Jentery Sayers, eds. Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments, 2016. https://github.com/curateteaching/digitalpedagogy.
- Fiona Barnett. “The Pedagogy Project.” HASTAC, April 1, 2014.https://www.hastac.org/pedagogy-project.